Friday, 28 April 2017

A very simple problem.

I do not like it when people do not do what they say they are going to do.

If governments, companies, societies, and on a very basic level, people just simply did what they said they were going to do, the world would be a better place.

How many times have you said you would go for coffee with someone when you didn't mean it? If someone suggests to me that we go for coffee, I assume that it's a sincere offer of wanting to, at some point in the next, say, 2 months, actually sit with me somewhere and have coffee. If you do not want to have coffee with me, do not suggest we have coffee. London was really bad for the "Let's go for a pint some time" thing. This is said 100s of times every day in London, partly because there are so many people and partly because there are so many good places to have a drink, and I came to discover that either I was not very popular or I brought this out in people or people there just do it a lot. "Let's go for a pint some time", in London, means "Bye, I'll probably only see you again by fluke and really I have much better people to drink with" or at least that's what it felt like...

I'll definitely be there at 2 to help you move or for our soccer game or for your kid's birthday means, to some people, apparently, "I'm not coming". I'll never understand this. Are many of us too shy or self-absorbed or socially stunted to just be honest about these things?

That is the very basic way this is annoying. But I think it can be expanded. If governments, schools (and I'm a teacher...), businesses, societies, radio stations, think tanks, etc. etc. did what they were mandated to do... did what it said on the tin (again for the UKians), all would be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment